From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 91 02:46:04 EDT
I picked this up while on my trip to the hockey capital of the South,
Huntsville, to see my friend play AA ball for the Huntsville Stars.  I
wanted to drop in on Coach Ross, but he was out of the office during the
two weekdays I was in Huntsville.  Note that the December games conflict with
what Chris posted in the UAF schedule; these may have changed
and I would go with Chris's dates.

BTW, I got to see the longest game in the 90-year history of the Memphis
Chicks - 20 innings - in which Huntsville scored 3 runs in the top of the
20th and won, 9-7, in Memphis.  It took two days to play.

There was an interesting article in the UAH media guide I picked up which
talks about the history of hockey in Huntsville.  I'll try to post it soon.

Thanks for all the great info that was posted while I was away.  I'm glad
to see Dartmouth select a coach who has strong ties to the area and a
clear interest in continuing the work done by Ben Smith.  Also, Bob Deraney,
asst. Dartmouth coach, played four years as goalie for BU for further
reference.  He spent a year as goalie coach at Northeastern.

Got more poll replies, too, so I need to adjust my tallies before sending
that out.  Thanks to everyone who sent theirs.  In addition, I'm working on
my third annual NHL draft recap which I will post here and to r.s.hockey
if it hasn't been done so already.  Some players are headed to colleges
and it would be interesting to see where they were drafted.

- mike

1991-92 Alabama-Huntsville Hockey Schedule
Tentative as of 6/19/91.

OCTOBER 91
Sat 19     Southern Collegiate Club Team (EXH)
Sun 20     Blue-White Game (EXH)
Fri 25  at Lowell
Sat 26  at Merrimack
NOVEMBER 91
Sat  2     Wisconsin-Superior (non-Division I)
Sun  3     Wisconsin-Superior (non-Division I)
Fri  8  at Birmingham (Univ. of Alabama-Birmingham?  -mike) (non-I)
Sat  9  at Birmingham (non-I)
Fri 15     Alaska-Anchorage
Sat 16     Alaska-Anchorage
Fri 22     Ryerson (non-I)
Sun 24     Ryerson (non-I)
Sat 30     RPI
DECEMBER 91
Sun  1     RPI
Fri  6     Huntsville Senior All-Stars and/or
Sat  7     Naval Academy (both EXH? -mike)
Sat 14  at Alaska-Anchorage
Sun 15  at Alaska-Anchorage
Thu 19  at Alaska-Fairbanks
Fri 20  at Alaska-Fairbanks
Sat 28     Brown
Sun 29     Brown
JANUARY 92
Fri  3     Mankato State (non-I)
Sat  4     Mankato State (non-I)
Fri 10     Alaska-Fairbanks
Sat 11     Alaska-Fairbanks
Fri 24     Iona (non-I)
Sat 25     Iona (non-I)
Fri 31  at Army
FEBRUARY 92
Sat  1  at Army
Fri  7     Seneca (non-I)
Sat  8     Seneca (non-I)
Fri 21  at Air Force
Sat 22  at Air Force
MARCH 92
6-7 or 13-14  Independent Tournament (TBA)

         HE   ECAC  CCHA  WCHA   Ind  Non-I  TOT
Home      0     4     0     0     4    12    20
Away      2     0     0     0     8     2    12
TOT       2     4     0     0    12    14    32