From:
Rick McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 1994 03:22:46 +0001
I am posting a little news about this game as my last act before signing
off for vacation; the price I pay for listening to the game on the radio
as I finish up some specs for work.

I listened to the Harvard radio broadcast, so I only have a few stats and
notes.  The primary story of this game was the first varsity career start
for senior Harvard goaltender Steve Hermsdorf (a 3-year JV player and
permanent varsity benchwarmer.)  Steve had played exhibitions and some
minutes in a few varsity games (BU earlier this year) but they said this
was his first start.  He evidently played quite well, though UAF may not
have had the best offensive game.  It may be particularly noteworthy as
Harvard was without 2 regular defensemen (Halfnight and Breistroff) and
their skilled forward Steve Martins (previous game DQ) and they were
tired from the long trip to the North.

HARVARD              2  0  3  - 5
ALASKA-FAIRBANKS     1  0  1  - 2

FIRST PERIOD
------------
HAR1   Gustavson 6 (Holmes)  1:05 (first shot for Harvard)
HAR2   Higdon 1 (Swensen)  2:23  (first career goal for Higdon)
UAF1   Millis(?) (Bowtell)  PPG4  16:25 (rebound)

Harvard dominates early action, uses speed on Olympic-size surface.
UAF recovers later in period.

SECOND PERIOD
-------------
No scoring.  Harvard tired, UAF dominating but can't score.

THIRD PERIOD
------------
Action back and forth, several penalties but no goals.
Then Harvard gets 3 in quick succession to end it.
HAR3   Nielsen (?) 4on4   9:01
HAR4   Cohagen (?)        11:30
HAR5   Konik (?) SHG      13:03   (crowd leaving after this one)
UAF2   McDonald           20:00

Attendance estimated at mid-to-high 2000's; students on break.
Apologies for any mistakes or misspellings; radio reports don't bother to
spell any names, of course.
Interesting note on 2 linesmen:  one was brother of UAF player, the other
was the brother of former Harvard player Tod Hartje.
Tripp Tracy due back in goal for Harvard tomorrow.
Rick McAdoo                                  [log in to unmask]
BC will return!                              GO EAGLES!