From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 91 09:17:13 -0400
> "Jeff E. Lewis 996-3041; 413-2168; 421-4394"  writes:
>The latest I hear is that Kent State will be a full member of the CCHA
>in 91-92. Can anyone give the latest information?
    ^^^^^ that should be 92-3

>I don't know what this would do to scheduling -- a 10 team conference
>with four games against each opponent makes 36 games -- already over the
>limit.

It screws scheduling up. Currently there is a CCHA committee to help figure
out the scheduling options for 92-3 when Kent joins the league. Some of the
plans they are considering for the 10-team league are the following:

A) Play everyone 3 times. 9 opponents x 3 games each = 27 league games.
B) Split into North/South divisions of 5 teams each. Possible divisions
   would be LSSU-FSU-WMU-UIC-MSU and Mich-BG-Kent-OSU-Miami.
   Play everyone in your division 4 times and those not in your
   division twice.  4 opp x 4 games + 5 opp x 2 games = 26 games

There are also variations on these two themes. For A), you might play a
team 4 times to bring your total to 28. For either, you might play a
game or two against an independent in the area and count them as league
games.

Nothing has been decided yet, for sure, so if you come up with any brilliant
ideas, let me know and I'll forward them to the league office.

Myself, I like plan A because it is fair. But it is a bitch to actually
schedule the games. Two opponents would have to be grouped into a
single weekend: for example, BG might travel to UIC and WMU one weekend
and then host FSU and MSU the next. It would be tough on the players,
too, with Tuesday games sandwiched between 2 full weekends of
play. And those 1-game road trips to the Soo would be killers!

Plan B is OK, but not great. You can maintain the current "play a
2-game series" format. It preserves the BG-OSU rivalry (they have played
each other 4 times per year since 1969), but it splits up Michigan &
Michigan State so they only play each other twice. Some people would
claim the "South" divsion was too wimpy, also. The playoff format would
also have to be changed. Would each division send 2 teams to the Joe or
would #1 North host #4 South in the quarterfinals?

So, lots of unanswered questions still....

Keith [log in to unmask]