From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 1994 00:57:46 -0500
All right! Another Junior hockey post for me to respond to. :-)

(BTW, I was thinking of writing to that twit Powers, but I've decided that
he and his xenophobic drivel are not worth spending a stamp.)

>Mike Block writes:
>>        Does Canada start their schooling later then the US?  Cause, it
>>    seem that many of the freshman from Canada are 21+ years of age. Hmmmm
>
>This is a myth that still seems to exist even today.
>
>Finally, there is a grade 13 in Canada.

There is in one province, Ontario. Quebec has 11 grades, and then (I
believe) a mandatory two years at a community college (known as a CEGEP).
The other provinces all have 12 grades, the same as the U.S. Just based
on that, a player from Ontario will be a year older as a freshman than a
player from B.C. or the U.S.

A player may also seem to be older because successful hockey players in
Canada tend to be born earlier in the year. Someone born in March of a
year is likely to be (depending on the province's regulations) a school
year behind someone born later the year before.

>But when you consider that
>many American players go to prep school for a year after completing
>high school,

Perhaps. But I also know of players here who go to a community college, or
take university courses, while staying here. This is basically the same
idea, I would think. It all depends on the player, his skill and his SATs.

One of my team's players is doing that. He's attending a community college
now, and next year he's going to the NC$$.

>>       Food for thought,
>>
>>                Players that play Juniors, can not recieve full scholarships!!
>>                Or is this already true!!
>
>[major junior discussion deleted]
>
>There are lower levels of junior in Canada, levels that are not that
>different from the levels of junior in the US...if those players are
>to be banned too, then the same would have to happen for the hundreds
>of Americans playing in the USHL and other leagues.

I'm glad someone listened to my ramblings on junior hockey in Canada. :-)

There is one essential difference between Canada and the US that I have
noticed in youth hockey. In the U.S., high school hockey is the main route
to the NC$$, it seems, with the USHL, NAHL, etc. taking a back seat. In
Canada, it's the other way around. High school hockey is a non-factor. If
a Canadian player wants to develop, he plays junior hockey. Period.

Barring a Junior player from receiving a scholarship is not sensible. That
would be trying to impose an American system on Canada. Where would
prospective Canadian recruits play? High School? Who is going to pay for
that? I know of very few ratepayers around me that would want to see their
School Board taxes go up to pay for better High School hockey. What would
be the point to dismantling the current Junior A setup?

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards          Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr Senators (11-9-1 23pts) (CJHL)
Carleton U., Law IV            Owner: Ottawa Polar Bears (WIFFL) (7-3-1)