From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 1994 11:48:40 CST
Headline: Suspensions force U to juggle lineup
Publish Date: 11/18/1994
Matthew Cross
Staff Reporter

The Gophers hockey team had a sobering experience in North Dakota
last weekend, and it is taking precautions to prevent a similar
experience against Michigan Tech this weekend.

After losing one game and tying another with the Sioux for the first
time since 1987, the Gophers have had an intense week of practice to
combat their offensive and defensive troubles.

``A bad weekend stems from a bad week in practice,'' senior
co-captain Justin McHugh said. ``We put a lot of emphasis on practice
and we've had a good week.''

McHugh said one of the biggest problems the Gophers had against North
Dakota was a nearly nonexistent forecheck and a slow start that left
Minnesota playing comeback in both games.

``We haven't found out yet if we've successfully changed anything,
because you see that in the games,'' McHugh said. ``But we haven't
pushed the panic button.''

The Gophers have, however, pushed the ejection seat button.

Many changes in the individual lines will take place, some of which
resulted from two one-game disqualifications that occurred Saturday
night.

Jed Fiebelkorn was disqualified for fighting and Casey Hankinson was
suspended for checking from behind.

The most notable lineup change is that rookie Ryan Kraft will move
from the fourth line to the first, pairing with Brian Bonin and
McHugh.

Dave Larson, who was previously on the first line, will take
Hankinson's spot on the third line with Dan Woog and Dan Hendrickson.

Rookie Joe Pankratz stays on the fourth line, but he will be joined
by Jesse Bertogliat and Bobby Dustin, who will help fill Fiebelkorn's
spot.

Neither Dustin nor Bertogliat played last weekend.

Coach Woog said the lineup will not make the difference in the
series; rather, it will be the Gophers ability to control the pace in
Mariucci's larger ice sheet.

Michigan Tech will be playing on an Olympic-size rink for the first
time this season. The Huskies insist on a slow-paced game. The
Gophers are the exact opposite. Whoever wins the tempo battle should
prevail.

``If we don't move our feet we're going to get caught in a position
we don't want to be in,'' coach Woog said.

However, it is a good bet that, in the larger arena, the Gophers will
have their way. And if Michigan Tech cannot adjust quickly, there
might be some very lopsided scores.

Since the Gophers and Huskies are the WCHA's first- and second-ranked
teams, respectively, in penalty kills and power plays, the
special-teams play should be important.

In seven of their first eight games, the Gophers have had to play
catch-up instead of being in control.

And that stems from their defense.

On Saturday, Minnesota fell behind North Dakota 14 seconds into the
game.

Coach Woog said that was a key point in the game, as the goal left
the Gophers defense reeling and the Sioux fans screaming.

The Gophers hit the pipes seven times against North Dakota; none of
those shots crossed the line.

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!