From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 1994 10:58:47 -0400
Bill Schneller writes:
>I can't recall if it was mentioned by ESPN or I read elsewhere that Craig
>MacTavish played at U Lowell (now UMass Lowell.)  Is that true?  Is it
>Was Lowell a Division I program at that time?

MacTavish did play at Lowell before turning pro with Boston in, I
believe, 1979 (verification is at home).  But Lowell did not move up
to DivI until 1983-84, when they played a season as a DivI Independent
before Hockey East was formed in 1984-85.

Off the top of my head, I think MacTavish helped Lowell to one DivII
title while he was there.  The (former) Chiefs won 3 or 4 DivII titles
in the late 70s and early 80s before moving up.  They were truly
dominant during that time, losing only a handful or two of games over a
four- or five-year stretch.
Mike Machnik                                             [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                     *HMM* 11/13/93