From:
"G.M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 1994 14:44:00 EST
As Mike has done before me, I will take credit for comments I made during the
West Regional game.  Mine were "I was waiting for Minnesota to do something to
impress me, etc."  Since I only saw two periods of the game (I was sitting next
to a rather quiet Minnesota cheering section) as I stated in the original post,
one must temper my comments based on that fact.  I wasn't there for the third
period or the two OT's, so my view of Minnesota's performance was based on
what I saw, which was not impressive.  Smiley face or not, I don't consider
my comments to be puzzling.

As for the Hockey-L poll, I had the Gophers at #4 both before and after the
Final Four.  Of the teams that didn't qualify for the 4, I had Lowell rated
as the highest among them and gave them the #5 slot (with UM at #6, after the
Final 4).  My basis for ranking them #4 was that of the four teams headed to
St. Paul, they looked to be the weakest.  Losing to BU in the semis by three
goals while Harvard took LSSU to OT only reinforced my opinion, so I voted
them #4 after the tournament.

I did not consider what I wrote to be "dissing" on the Gophers.  (Who the hell
ever thought of that stupid term, anyway?)  After a very slow start, the Gophers
came on to challenge CC and Wisconsin for the WCHA regular season title, only
to see CC take it on the last weekend.  After CC's loss in the first round,
Minnesota went on to claim the tournament title and make it to the Final Four,
which would have seemed nearly impossible in November.  So, while I may not
necessarily cheer for the Gophers, I applaud their efforts at turning what
could have been a disastrous season into a winning one.

So, I'll end with a suggestion, and please don't take this as a flame or any-
thing like that:

If Minnesota is anything like Michigan at this time of year, the sun's out, the
trees are starting to think about leaves (they won't be there for another week
or so), the birds are singing, and the temperature's above 40 (but probably not
much and not for too long).  Get out and enjoy it.  Watch a few baseball games,
go play frisbee in the park, fly a kite, ride a bike.  Think ahead, not back.
Time will come soon enough when the wind whips out of Canada and the water
starts to freeze again that the sound of slapshots and body checks will fill
the air.  And then worry about the Gophers of '94-'95, not those of '93-'94.
Just as I will worry about next year's squad in Green and White, on the banks
of the Red Cedar.

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University- 60 degrees and sunny
WVU '87, UTenn '92, MSU who the hell knows when?

Fantasy Baseball Team BA up to .289.  Thank God for Jeff Kent (2B, New York
Mess, 8 HR as of last night)!