From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 1994 13:31:06 -0500
Erik writes on Frank Mazzocco:
>He's a pretty good announcer who makes the effort to keep up with
>what's happening in college hockey.  Though Frank is not a HOCKEY-Ler, he is
>aware of our existence.

As he should be. :-)

I agree with Erik, after my only exposure to Frank's work on the West
broadcasts last weekend, I thought he did well.  Since we have two
matchups of East vs West, the combo of him and Norton should prove to
be a good one.  And from the two sets of announcers last weekend, we
have the best play by play man and the best color man.  It's almost as
if they had their own regionals to decide who moves on. :-)

Frank also co-hosts College Hockey USA, which many people here are
likely familiar with.

Is the pre-set ESPN team of Norton and Sean McDonough a harbinger of
an all East final?  McDonough and Norton are reunited, as they spent
several years as the Hockey East announcing team on NESN before
McDonough moved on to baseball.  McDonough is my all-time favorite
play-by-play guy for college hockey and it's great to have him back.
(Bob Kurtz, as I have said before, is a close second.  Sorry NESN took
him away from you folks in Minnesota, you must miss him.)

Hasn't somebody been saying here the last couple of years that ESPN
should replace Mees with McDonough... :-)  (see, what you want is what
you get!)

Since our flight out of Boston leaves in a few hours, I thought about
giving my thoughts on the upcoming games along with some selections,
but then I remembered the line in G.M.'s post of the standings in the
1994 predictions contest:

>5 points, 5 maximum- ..., Mike Machnik

And so I will quit while I am behind.  Or second last.

Well, after picking the champ from six years straight from 1985 to
1990, my luck was due to run out sometime.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93