From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 1994 00:14:20 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>* The tv selection show was, as expected, mostly fluff.  I would have
>liked to see more talk about why the seedings were done the way they
>were done, instead of a few seconds with every coach they could round
>up.  I got a strong sense that Lowell's Bruce Crowder was not happy
>with his team being sent to East Lansing to face MSU even though
>Lowell was likely seeded several spots higher than MSU.  Host Frank
>Mazzocco made a mistake by asking Bruce about Wisconsin, and Bruce had
>to correct him by reminding him Lowell was facing MSU.  It happens,
>but Bruce's response seemed to indicate his unhappiness with the
>proceedings (IMO).

I agree. The show was mostly fluff, and I barely had time to watch it.
Interesting point: Buddy Powers was supposed to be there as well, but
MSC could only hook up 3 remotes together, therefore, no Buddy.

One thing I would like to point out about this show. Everyone where
I was watching thought at first that RPI had gotten sent out to
East Lansing, and MSU to Albany because of the way they laid out the
list of 6 teams in each region. Why can;t they make it a bracket like
the Basketball show? Wouldn't it eliminate confusion? Even Buddy thought
it was that way at first, and I told about 10,000 listeners the same thing.

>* Keith said the seeds were originally done thusly by region:
>EAST BU, Harv, UNH, UML, RPI, NU
>WEST Mich, Minn, LSSU, Wisc, WMU, MSU

One point on this. Why did they throw the 2 Western schools over to the
East immediately? And then reseed? That doesn't make sense to me.
Shouldn''t you seed first and then go on with it?
This is why I expected and RPI and MSU seeding of 4 E and W respectively.

>What was the deciding factor?  Head to head?  Comley said that all
>five factors were treated equally.  UNH won its two factors just
>barely, while UML won Last20 and CommOpp pretty significantly.  This
>proved to be a huge decision, since it was the difference between
>getting to stay in the East or going to East Lansing to face
>lower-seeded but host MSU.  I think I would be pretty unhappy if I
>were Lowell.

I think the answer here is that they didn't want to many teams with Red
on their uniforms at Albany :-)

>Looking at this another way, why was Lowell seeded ahead of LSSU when
>the crossovers were done?  If Lowell and LSSU are swapped, then MSU
>hosts LSSU and Lowell plays Northeastern - on a neutral surface.  Here
>is the Lowell-LSSU comparison:
>
>               UML             LSSU            EDGE TO
>RPICH          .5491           .5417            UML
>Head-Head      NONE            NONE             NONE
>TUC Win%       7-7-3 .500     10-9-3 .523       LSSU
>Last20 Win%   11-4-5 .675     12-4-4 .700       LSSU
>CommOpp Win%   1-0-2 .667      1-0-0 1.000      LSSU
>
>LSSU wins 3-1, but boy was it close.  A difference of a tie in Last20,
>two ties in CommOpp (only one CommOpp may make it not worth considering),
>and one win in TUC Win%.  I'd consider the teams in a virtual deadlock.
>It may have been better to seed Lowell 4W and LSSU 3E to avoid this
>problem.

I think this has to do with the NCAA sticking to non-conference 1st round
matchups. Avoid if possible, and if LSSU is 3W, and Lowell is 4W, you get
CCHA right away. not yet is what they are saying.

>* A factor that may prove to be big in Albany is that the
>Knick has the 200x100 ice surface.  Harvard and RPI have just come off
>playing two games each on that size rink in Lake Placid.  BU and UNH
>have not played on it this season.  Wisconsin has played several times
>on it at UAA, Minn, and SCSU, and WMU has not played on it.  But UNH
>coach Dick Umile said he was looking forward to it (and he'll have
>that size surface in his home rink in a year or two), so it should be
>interesting.

NOT TRUE! The ice surface at Albany will be 200 X 85.  Why? The Albany
River Rats have been playing there all year long, and the time needed to
get the ice surface to 200 X 100 will not happen.  When the Albany Sports
Foundation bid for these regionals, the Rats were not there yet.  In the
92 Finals, the ice surface was indeed 200 X 100, but this time it won't be.
The NCAA was not happy about this, but let it slide.

>* Finally, the seedings set up one first round meeting of teams who
>have already met this season.  UNH defeated RPI on the road early in
>the season.
>
>There are three possible such matchups in the second round, including
>two possible rematches of conference championship games.  RPI could
>meet Harvard again, who is 2-1-0 vs RPI this season.  LSSU could meet
>Michigan; Michigan has won all 4 meetings.  Also, MSU could meet
>Minnesota, which won the only meeting.

This is odd again. I would think that the NCAA would WANT to avoid any
possiblity of games between conference members at the Regionals.
That the reason for LSSU 4W. Therefore, the brackets should look like this:

East                    West

1 BU                    Mich
2 Harvard               Minn
3 UNH                   LSSU
4 Wisc                  UML
5 RPI                   MSU
6 WMU                   NU

Now you have the same matchups in the 1st round, but it becomes:

BU v.  Wisc/RPI
Harv v. UNH/WMU
Mich v. MSU/UML
Minn v. LS/NU

The only conflict is with Mich, but it seems better than have that game
plus Harv v. UNH/RPI as a possibility or BU v. UNH/RPI.

I hope people understand what I am trying to say.

>And if UML and BU make it out of their regionals, they would meet in
>the semifinals in St Paul; BU won 3x to Lowell's 1 including defeating
>Lowell for the HE championship.
>Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
>Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
>Opinions expressed in this post are solely those of the poster.

See ya in Albany folks.

*  Jayson Moy RPI '89 '93       * One of the Voices of Rensselaer Engineer    *
*  [log in to unmask]                 * Hockey, Baseball, Football, and Basketball  *
*  The "J Man"                  * on Crystal Clear FM Radio, 91.5FM WRPI, Troy*