From:
Brian Zive <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Zive <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 1994 18:52:09 EST
I'd like to adress the chances of Maine getting a bid to
the Tournament.

I actually think they have a good chance if the RPICH is
correct.  The thing that bugs me is that with a record of
only two games over .500 (actual non-forfeit record) I don't
see how they could be selected higher than a sixth seed.

The teams aren't too strong in the east, from what I gather.
The definites are BU and Harvard.  BU has trounced Northeastern
twice this year, and has lost by one goal and beaten them by
one goal this year.  I also believe that NU has played UMaine
tight this year (although I could be corrected on this fact).

Personally, I think Maine is a very impressive team, especially
the way they played BU last weekend (with the Ferraro Bros.)

Now, with the current Maine team, IMHO they could handle UNH,
NU, RPI.  The teams they could battle with are BU and Harvard.
But!--does their mediocre record qualify them for a seed higher
than UNH, NU and RPI.  It's unfair to those teams who have battled
all year, and have a record either better or comprable to Maine's, and
who haven't brought players back from the Olympics to make them stronger.

Maine could make it to the tournament, but it's unfair for them to
get a seed higher than those teams that have a better proven record
and have held the same squad for the whole year.  Maine is a much better
team with the Ferraro Bros.

And, IMHO, I think Sean Walsh was correct when he told Jack Parker,
"I hope we made you a better team for the playoffs."  I think last
weekend's series did make BU a better team, becuase you only become
better when you are challenged from a tough squad.

-E-d--w-a-s--m-a-d-e--f-o-r--t-h-e--w-o-r-l-d--t-o--e-n-j-o-y---

Brian A. Zive
[log in to unmask]   "Shake what mama gave you"
[log in to unmask]                -Peter Wolf, the J. Geils Band

-G-o-d--c-r-e-a-t-e-d--t-h-e--w-o-r-l-d--f-o-r--E-d-w-a-r-d-----