From:
"Glenn W. Gale" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn W. Gale
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 1994 12:20:19 -0500
Kevin Reester <[log in to unmask]> wrote...
>And finally, someone made a post stating that Clarkson fans are usually
>much louder than the opposing teams fans.  I would not agree with that at
>all, especially since they moved into Cheel.  I have attended three or
>four games there now and each time the small section of opposing teams
>fans were generally more active and louder throughout the whole game (with
>the exception of when Clarkson scored a goal of course).  And a couple of
>those games were not against RPI.  I must say that before Cheel arena (I
>forget the name of the old rink down the road), Clarkson was one of the
>craziest and most intimidating places to watch a game.  Anyone else notice
>this as well?

     You are absolutely right.  I was an undergrad at Clarkson during the
old Walker Arena days.  The place was small, and students typically would
stand on the railings or hang from various parts of the structure, etc. to
see the game.  It was very loud.  Also, "The Bell" was situated directly
above the ramp where visitors would go to and from their locker room -
adding to the intimidation a bit.  When I first came to Cheel (the new
arena) I noticed that this was no longer a case (the visitors go to their
locker room via the side of the rink instead of the end) and I felt it was
a bit of a design flaw :-).  The crowd is nowhere near as loud in Cheel as
they were in Walker, which I find disappointing.  I think it has a lot to
do with the fact that the arena is so darned nice and new and clean.  When
people are stuffed into a barn they are much more apt to behave like
animals :-).  Those were the days...
     By the way, the Cheel fans have taken up a variation of the "RED"
yell during the Anthem.  They yell "(K)NIGHT" when that word comes up in
the song.

Thanks,
-Glenn