EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jay Anania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:17:50 EST
In the 1922 calendar, the end of the Xtian era (1922) was followed by year 1
p.s.U.
(post scriptum Ulysses).  EP marvelled that Joyce finished ULYSSES on Pound's
birthday in 1921.
Forrest Read talks of this at very great length in his book "'76 One World
and the Cantos of Ezra Pound."
Read, p. 41: "...out of Joyce's 'retrospect' on the European mind that had
caused and tolerated World War 1 was coming the 'pro-spect' opened by the
Odyssean beginning of the Cantos."
By the way, I am a non-academic who studied Pound in college very many years
ago, under Forrest Read?  Am I right in thinking that he (Read) is little
mentioned in academic circles? Why?
On another note, I would like to thank those who manage to ignore the ugly
tones of a couple of the regulars posters to the list.  Except in the hands
of real masters, like EP,  dense and aggressive stylings seem painfully
self-conscious (and, so, embarassing to read) and are answered best by either
silence or civility.  I think EP, for all his occasional bluster, finally
respected "beautiful manners".  In any case, I do.
Jay Anania