EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne Pounds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 01:16:46 -0800
Yes, I agree, we should create a centralized site and
upgrade our offerings. Specifically, there are three
things we urgently need to do.

1. Put as much of the Cantos on line as is in the
public domain.

2. Make an index to Paideuma.

3. And not least, get "the most beautiful book in the
language" (ABC of Reading 58, 127) back in print.
Heffers in London told me two years ago that Penguin
was planning to publish it, and Amazon.com now lists
it as forthcoming in March. Let's hope. Don't the damn
fools know that under the rubric of "Shakespeare's
Ovid" and with the boost of Pound's praise they could
sell a copy to every university library and every
literary academic in the English-speaking world? Not
to mention the "Ovid boom" represented by best
seller's like <After Ovid> and Ted Hughes' <Tales from
Ovid>.
Can anybody twist Penguin's ear?  (Or his beak if you
can't find the ear.)
        Or let's sell 'em the millennialist line.
<Metamorphoses> written roughly at time of birth of
Jesus X when the marble was falling from the Greek n
Roman pantheons , and religious trappings lying around
like old masks in the theater lumber room. Says
Hughes, Ovid's tales tell us "what it feels like to
live in the psychological gulf that opens at the end
of an era."  Santa Patienza, if that's not enough,
tell 'em the <Metamorphoses> have sex and violence
too!
If all this doesn't get the meatheaded meadiaheads'
attention, we could put Golding's Ovid **on line**.
_The XV Bookes of P. Ouidius Naso, entytuled
Metamorphosis_ at BelEsprit.com (aka EzraPound.com)!
Why not?--Chapman's Homer is on line.

Wayne

--- Garrick Davis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Pound listmembers,
>
> (I don't believe this message "went through" the
> first time. Apologies if I
> am mistaken...)
>
> Some time ago, the suggestion was forwarded that we
> (as a group, I believe)
> should create and maintain a website concerning the
> poet.
>
> This website would be a model of its kind, in that
> very few (if any) websites
> are maintained by a community of scholars studying
> the subject independently.
>
> The logical name for such a website is, of course,
> ezrapound.com
> which has been purchased by a woman in Toronto who,
> as yet, has not bothered
> to place a website at that address. We might be able
> to purchase the name
> from her, or purchase a .org or.net variation. I
> have not yet contacted this
> individual.
>
> Are any of the listmembers still interested in this
> ambitious project?
>
> Regards,
> G. Davis
> CPR (www.cprw.com)