ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 10:26:00 EST
I thought that was one of the more complimentary pieces done on the
Maine Faculty Senate.  :-)

Too bad many people didn't try to understand what Professor Locke was
saying.  I've known and admired Phil Locke for over 30 years.  He's not
your stereotypical college professor that can't function out of the
lecture hall.

Professor Locke, IMHO, was pointing out that the advertisements at
basketball games (that's what they do when they cover the ice at the
Alfond) are an ugly annoyance and maybe we, who are interested in U
Maine and feel a responsibility to the stature and image of U Maine,
should look at the U Maine policies that are or should be in place.

Maybe $350K/year is worth the annoyance?  Maybe different controls
should be in place?  What controls are in place?

Only Coca Cola on campus OK?  Where else might we go?  Computer store
only sell and service Dell?  Campus departments only allowed to purchase
Windows 2000 ...  no Netware, no Sun, ...  Only Heinneman books
prominently displayed in Bookstore?

Don't get me wrong ...  I'll go out of my way to do business with a
local U Maine supporter, but an exclusive contract for business on
campus just makes me want to avoid that business.

Maybe that's beyond what Professor Phil Locke meant.  Maybe just the
billboards and load-speaker announcements were on his mind.  Maybe this
isn't appropriate discussion for this list and the moderators will tell
me to shutup.

On a recent trip through North and South Carolina, I was reminded of how
many huge, ugly billboards they have ...  and that we in Maine don't
have because we said we didn't want them.  I don't want them!

On the whole, I'd rather hear the band and the fans at a U Maine game
and see trivia and information on the Message Center.  But that might
mean significant downgrading of all programs.  Maybe "success" requires
fans accepting some annoyances?  I'm all ears.

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L and Hockey3